Patient Special Needs Process
“Special Needs” Program for Individual Patients and Families
Perhaps the most compelling and concrete examples of how the Foundation’s resources are used to make a difference in people’s lives fall under the category of “Special Needs.” The Foundation makes grants to fund extraordinary expenses that lie outside the realm of hospice care but are nevertheless critically important to the patient’s comfort or peace of mind.
The examples are many. For the patient dying in the middle of summer in a stifling apartment, the Foundation provides funds for a window air conditioner. For another patient, the Foundation makes it possible for beloved family members living at a distance to fly to the patient’s bedside in time for final farewells.
An advisory group that includes front-line caregivers evaluates the special grant requests to ensure that dollars are directed to the most critical needs in a timely fashion.
Process for Special Needs Request to the Foundation for End-of-Life Care
Click here to download the special needs request forms.
1) Once the application is complete with all supporting documentation and the required signatures from the person recommending this request, (Team Manager, Sr. Manager or other authorized professional staff) the information is given to the Foundation President, Chairman or the Vice Chairperson for review and consideration of funding.
2) The patient’s financial situation is assessed to determine that the request falls within the Foundation guidelines.
3) A funding decision is made after the completed application and its necessary supporting documentation is received . Turn around time is approximately 2-3 days.
4) The individual who made the request on behalf of the patient/family (social worker or chaplain) is contacted to let them know the decision.
5) If the request is for travel, the Foundation will make the necessary arrangements on behalf of the family member. The following information is needed:
- Name of person
- If they have proper ID to present at the airport (Passport, visa, driver license number, etc.)
- Name of airport for departure
- Name of airport for return flight
- Dates of travel
6) The check is mailed along with a cover letter to the vendor with all of the pertinent information. A vendor check or gift card may be sent to the hospice staff member who requested food, clothes, fuel, etc. for a family for their delivery to the vendor. Gift cards may be given directly to the family by the hospice staff member.