Patient Special Needs Process
“Special Needs” Program for Individual Patients and Families
Perhaps the most compelling and concrete examples of how the Foundation’s resources are used to make a difference in people’s lives fall under the category of “Special Needs.” The Foundation makes grants to fund extraordinary expenses that lie outside the realm of hospice care but are nevertheless critically important to the patient’s comfort or peace of mind.
The examples are many. For the patient dying in the middle of summer in a stifling apartment, the Foundation provides funds for a window air conditioner. For another patient, the Foundation makes it possible for beloved family members living at a distance to fly to the patient’s bedside in time for final farewells.
An advisory group that includes front-line caregivers evaluates the special grant requests to ensure that dollars are directed to the most critical needs in a timely fashion.
Process for Special Needs Request to the Foundation for End-of-Life Care
Click here to download the special needs request forms. Send to us via email attachment.
1) Once the application is complete with all supporting documentation and the required signatures from the person recommending this request, (Team Manager, Sr. Manager or other authorized professional staff) the information is given to the Foundation President, Chairman or the Vice Chairperson for review and consideration of funding.
2) The patient’s financial situation is assessed to determine the request falls within the Foundation guidelines.
3) A funding decision is made after the completed application and its necessary supporting documentation is received . Turn around time is approximately 2-3 days.
4) The individual (social worker/manager) from the hospice program who made the request on behalf of the patient/family is contacted to let them know the if the request is able to be funded.
5) If the request is for travel, the Foundation will make the necessary arrangements with the coordinated effort of the patient/family social worker(s) to assist gathering the required information.
6) If we are unable to pay for vendor services via our company debit/cc card, our company check is mailed along with a cover letter directly to the vendor with all of the pertinent information. Gift cards will be sent directly to the hospice staff member for delivery to the patient/family.