Guidelines For Extraordinary Needs Funding
FOR INDIGENT HOSPICE PATIENTS AND THEIR FAMILIES
Because of the generosity of the many hospice supporters and contributors, the Foundation for End of Life Care has worked since 1999 toward easing the financial burdens which one’s terminal illness can create for patients and their families. These grants have helped pay the rent/mortgage, utility bills, provided clothing & food, as well as reunited patients with far away loved ones for their final visit. Our purpose is to enrich the lives of these patients and their families by relieving distress and hardship.
Funding for extraordinary needs beyond what a hospice would normally provide is available to all hospice patients who qualify under the guidelines. Funds will not be allocated by the Foundation for patient’s needs that should be met by the hospice under the Medicare reimbursement system, Medicaid, or third party payment.
Click here to download the special needs request forms.
GRANT REQUESTS NEED TO ADHERE TO THE FOLLOWING PROCESSES:
1) A member of the interdisciplinary team, traditionally the hospice programs’ social worker, generates the request for funding an extraordinary need.
2) The form must be signed by (no exceptions):
- the program’s individual initiating the request,
- the program’s Team Manager, and
- Senior Staff member/Team Manager/Patient Care Administrator
3) Completion of the (1) Extraordinary Needs Grant Request Form and the (2) Financial Assessment Worksheets is a requirement to finalize the request process. Please email scan your request to firstname.lastname@example.org along with the bill requesting to be paid clearly showing a contact number for the vendor, mailing address, and amount due.
4) The request will be reviewed and the individual making the request will be advised of the results.
5) If approved, a check will be issued to the vendor or service provider. Checks are never issued to the patient/family or hospice staff member. Payment will be sent by regular mail unless the need is time sensitive.
FUNDS WILL NOT BE ALLOCATED FOR PATIENT’S NEEDS THAT SHOULD BE MET BY THE HOSPICE UNDER THE REIMBURSEMENT SYSTEM OF MEDICARE, MEDICAID, OR THIRD PARTY PAYMENT.
Examples of Extraordinary Needs that may be funded by the Foundation:
Window/single room air conditioning
Floor fan or heater
Bed sheets/blankets/hospital gowns
Repair glasses or dentures
Small TV, VCR or radio, room monitor (i.e. baby monitor)
Food card for groceries
Examples of extraordinary special needs that are not funded by the Foundation:
Credit Card Bills
Annual Service Contracts
Nursing Home or ALF monthly fee
Life Line Equipment
Deposits for pending services (including but not limited to: i.e. rental/phone/utility turn-up etc.)